Thursday, November 10, 2011

What's The Difference Between Oakland and Berkeley?

What's the difference between someone from Oakland and someone from Berkeley?

People from Oakland don't ask, "what are all the helicopters for?"

After another day of working in Downtown Oakland and taking pictures of the latest changes to the Occupy Oakland camp, I headed out to Berkeley for my usual Wednesday night dance class.

I had read on Twitter that about 2000 students had occupied Sproul Plaza- the epicenter of all things Cal, and now the cops were coming in to take down their tents.

As I entered Berkeley City limits around 5pm, I started laughing because I saw three helicopters just looming over campus up ahead. It's been the soundtrack to my work day lately.

I got to my gym and was changing my clothes in the locker room when I overheard a woman ask:


"What are all the helicopters for?"

I don't think I have ever heard that question asked in Oakland, because...well... there's always something going on in Oakland.

I informed this woman that Occupy protests were happening at the University, then finished changing my clothes and went to dance class.

Now, I know ALOT of people in the world are watching the Occupy protests, but, maybe not the WHOLE world as some posted banners and signs that have suggested.

Quotes from some friends of mine regarding the Occupy Movement (paraphrasing):

"I don't know much about it, I don't have cable."

"Why are they mad? Because other people make money?"

"I know very little about it."

So if occupiers want the WHOLE WORLD to watch them, they might have to step up their efforts a bit and I have no idea what that would look like.

In the meantime, I take pictures...

OCCUPY OAKLAND - DAY 30 - TOP 3 PHOTOS OF THE DAY:


The tents just keep getting flashier and flashier...

Pagan Porta-Potties!

Occupy Fashionista

After I left my dance class I did a drive-by over at Sproul Plaza, parked my car, and walked over to the demonstration. 

TOP THREE PHOTOS OF OCCUPY CAL BERKELEY:



Those last two pics made the top 3, because most of the Cal Berkeley protesters look more like this:

"Mic check!"

I said, "Mic check!"

While Oakland Occupiers look more like this:






Okay, so I guess, THAT'S the difference between Oakland and Berkeley.

As I finish typing this blog, according to Twitter, Sproul Plaza now has thousands of protesters standing off with police in riot gear and they are, apparently, stepping it up.

But I'm going to bed.

Goodnight.








No comments: